Today was a very special day for our family. First, at our church service there was a baby dedication. Another Reece's Rainbow family was having their daughter who has Down Syndrome dedicated. (We had not talked seriously about having Maria dedicated until recently, so that is something we must look in to, hopefully for the next baby dedication.) Today also was the 12th Annual Buddy Walk for Down Syndrome in Raleigh. As I was returning in to the church service after bringing Maria to the bathroom, I looked over at the row of chairs along the wall and much to my surprise saw a familiar face that I could not place immediately, but then it hit me after a few seconds... it was Andrea Roberts, the Founder and Executive Director of Reece's Rainbow. I could have cried, and can even now as I type this post. We went over to her and we hugged and then I had the pleasure of introducing her to Maria. It was a special moment. Andrea works endlessly at her home in Maryland and has not met any of her "children"... until this weekend. Yesterday she was in Richmond for the Buddy Walk there, and met a RR family who recently adopted, and today in Raleigh there are 3 families at my chuch who all adopted in the last 11 months from Ukraine with RR. After church we went home for lunch and then headed out to Brier Creek Park for the Buddy Walk. My friend (who is praying about adopting Tori from Ukraine) and I helped out at the Reece's Rainbow booth for a bit, and then our families enjoyed some time together playing games and walking. I got to meet some other families too. It truly was a special day!
I should have posted this on my blog weeks ago, but am late, and the "voting" is over. However, please take a moment to see this www.people.com/readerhero. Wait a few seconds and then you will see thumbnails of 9 people nominated as People's Hero of the Year.... Andrea Roberts is one of them! She and her son Reece are the middle photo. She is one amazing person doing so much for many.
No comments:
Post a Comment